Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Across the Universe and the Old drinking Song



Here is December! And things are getting colder by now. Though not so cold during my grade school days.
Last semester seems a month for me. And most of my works and schedules during this time were lost in my memories. But when I recently fixing my things in my bedroom, I saw this plate and remembered this particular work. This is the songbook I made for the first plate in my Advanced Illustration class last semester. This song is not so familiar to me, and the bunny just introduced it to me after several hours or days if I’m not mistaken, of thinking an appropriate song for my plate. It is the song called Across the Universe by the Beatles, and revived by Fiona Apple. It is a wonderful song. And somehow when I am listening to this music, I am picturing the scenes for my plate.

And this is the cover, with dead winter trees framing the title.




I placed the sun as, well randomly, the beginning of the day. Just like the beginning of the book.


And so the story begins.

*






**

























As an enclosure, I put the moon as the counterpart of the sun at the beginning.

As I explore some interesting songs, I also encountered this lovely old drinking song which is supposedly my first choice. I came to this site. They have this kind of celtic music, which I really admire. This site is called the Brobdingnagian Bards: A Bard's Celtic Lyrics Directory. You can visit their site here. And here is one of the song I encountered.

Old Drinking song
. Hey ho, rum diddly-o,
Handsome knights come courting.
Hey ho, rum diddly-o,
The lasses keep them sporting

Sir Ganymeade went to the Ball to win his lady's favor.
Upon a white horse, proud and tall, he did the banquet enter,
But at the urging of his friends, he drank a quart of honey mead.
His lady was dismayed to find he could not keep his steed.

Sir Gallahad went to the joust to win his lady's favor.
A kerchief tied about his lance he as a signal gave her,
But much too hasty he had been, the kerchief was another's.
His lady was dismayed to find the kerchief was her mother's.

Sir Lancelot went on a quest to win his lady's favor.
He swore he would bring back a prize to prove that he was braver,
And so he brought a golden ring which from a dragon's nose he'd got.
His lady was dismayed to find it looks like gold and yet it's (s)not.

Sir Bedivere composed a song to win his lady's favor.
Of true love long and deep and strong for hours he sang to her.
His lady op'd the window wide to taste of what he'd spoken.
His lady was dismayed to find his instrument was broken.

Sir Robin bought a handsome gown to win his lady's favor.
A beaded purses and shoes to match also he chose for her.
This fine ensemble was a clue to what she surely should have known;
His lady was dismayed to find he'd also bought one for his own.


And since I became intrigue with these old-old folkish songs, I also discovered this one. I hope I could create this kind of songs for my stories, like the old stumpy characters merrily singing these songs while drinking in a Tudor house.

OLD FAIRY SONG

In days of old in a kingdom bold, there lived a fearsome dragon.
And the King he was in great distress and the countries spirits flagoned.
Until one day there came a knight, he was handsome, bold, and charming.
And he slew the dragon with his sword with a smile that was so disarming.
With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, a smile that was so disarming.

Said the King I wish to know your name, but the knight said do not bother.
For the name of a knight of the realm says he, is the same as any other.
Said the King tonight in my daughter's bed you shall take your leisure.
And she'll reward you for your deed, with a night of exhausting pleasure.
With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, anight of exhausting pleasure.

One daughter she had raven hair, a maiden young and chaste.
And she slept all night in the pale moonlight, naked to the waist.
The other daughter she was fair, the fairest in the town.
And she slept all night in the pale moonlight naked from her small waist down.
With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, naked from her small waist down.

Well the knight he spends many hour behind the castle wall.
But the ending to my story dear, isn't what it seems at all.
For in neither bed of neither maid was he repaid for his glory.
But he slept all night with the King instead for this is a fairy story.
With a hey and a ho and a hey nany no, for this is a Fairy story.








* Words are flying out; Pools of sorrow waves of joy
**That call me on and on. Sorry for corrections!





5 comments:

Candie said...

This is wonderful!Wonderful work!I know that version of that song.Really nice.Why didn't I see your post before tonight?Strange.Anyway,glad to see more of your post :)

Candie said...

More please?;)

Pathikrit Ghosh said...

Your artwork is amazing!!!!!!

Especially on the song, and how you rendered it into visual embodiment. Hearing the song with the visuals was a complete magical experience!

I had never heard of that song earlier though. Nice that I have seen it now.

I would really like to see more of the artwork!

Pathikrit Ghosh said...

I really liked your artwork.

Especially the way you rendered the song a visual allegory. Hearing the song while reading your post was extremely interesting and magical.

I had not heard of the drinking song before. But now that I know, it is nice. I am extremely interested in celtic customs and culture!

I will be delighted to see more of your artworks.

fiziskandarz said...

did u draw/illustrate the artwork? heaven goodness u're very talented! keep it up! :D