Saturday, February 7, 2009

My Cathedral Facade


I made this facade of a Gothic cathedral for my plate in Art History class last semester. It was a very hard task despite that it is only imaginary, and it is about one and a half feet high, from it's base to the highest tip of the west tower (the highest structure in the cathedral), and is about eight inches wide.
I remember back when I was in high school, I saw on TV a man creating a small version of the White house in Washington D.C. I decided to create a small-scale Gothic cathedral, about eight inches high. After this, I made a new one, but this time much bigger: about fourteen inches high. Later on, I burned it for the sheer fun of it. It was made out of illustration board). The next was much higher, more elaborate, and more detailed. But after I finish the apse, I also burned it. After that I didn't have time to create a new one, until I had a opportunity to build it again in a much more accurate way. Unfortunately, I only finished the facade because I didn't have much time and would have had problems in how to transport it from my home to the university.



It was not an easy task. I collected some photos of Gothic cathedrals as basis, Amiens to be precise, and sketched its initial format and design. When I was done, I used some readily available materials so that I could save more. It is made of illustration board, with small wooden sticks for poles. I cut it according to their appropriate form and then I assembled it using wood glue. I painted it with a latex primer before adding the finishing colour in acrylic. Unfortunately, I couldn't achieve the colors I want since I painted it just two days before the presentation, instead of getting ivory for the walls and dark green for the roof, I came up with lime yellow walls. But it turned out okay and got a good grade for this.

The cathedral is now in the possession of The-Bunny-who-Likes-to-be-Squished.