Thursday, June 4, 2009

Some tiny works

My enrollment this June was a bit easy despite of the heavy rain. Thank God! I got all of my subjects for this semester on our online pre-registration, so I didn't need to fall in a very long line. As I didn't have time to draw during the first week of June, my bunny just took pictures of some of my sketches from last month.


Heads surrounded by the writings about them. I was trying to sketch some characters a few months ago for my third story.

This is my little sketchpad. Here, a little girl is posing, though for no reason. I called her a Wittle, one of my invented creatures for my first, fourth, and fifth story.




A mythical creature called Tikbalang. They are malevolent creatures that get people lost into the woods under their territory.




Creatures called aswang. Actually, they are considered to be people with various, unusual skills. Some of them can change their physical appearance into animals like bats, cats, and pig. Some can curse a person by means of other things, as in witchcraft. Some can halve their own body, at the torso. The upper half has bat's wings, and flies during the night, their entrails hanging down, scouting for people whom they'd prey on. Some of them live off the bodies of the dead, especially those who had just died, fooling the bereaved by replacing the corpse in the coffin with a banana trunk and spiriting off the real thing (because of this, Filipinos have the habit of making a lot of noise--eg. drinking, gambling, eating--in the presence of the coffin during the traditional nine-day wake, in order to dissuade any aswangs from taking their dead). Some of them have a hollow tongue which they use to suck the viscera and/or blood and phglem of people, especially the dying, thus ushering death; and in the cases of pregnant women, the tongue will stray towards the abdomen and from there, eat the unborn child and the liver of the mother. This particular type is rather popular, making pregnant women uneasy whenever they hear footsteps or clawing on the roof, and a curious tik-tik-tik sound by nightfall. They say that when the aswang are far away, you'd hear their screeching, like the violent death-throes of a pig or the tik-tik sound, as if they were hovering near. But when they are really hovering near, their sounds seem faraway. Those who don't know any better might venture out into the night to their own demise.







A fool standing in a corner looking at the sun.








This illustration was done by the bunny for my blog. The Fool and Death with our college motto: Ars longa, Vita brevis (Art is long, Life is short).










No comments: