Friday, June 5, 2009

Sandwich Man


Actually, it's a sandwich board man. They are people who wander around the city carrying advertisements written on the two boards. It was probably originated in London. They are also called the human billboard.

It came across my mind that one would invite visitors into my blog rather than advertise on streets. So I started this little drawing with a not-so-planned sketch and paint. I added a crow who was about to land on the sandwich man's head.



My bunny helped me to execute the lettering in charcoal. She also added some rendering like the nails' shadow and lines on the wooden board.



She put a random grotesque motif of a jester below the letters, staring blankly while his head is resting on his hands.



And now it's done. He is now ready to welcome visitors into my blog.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another wonderful work of art :) Your sandwich-board man would feel at home in the streets of Edinburgh, as there are many human "billboards" here.

Rima Staines said...

Wow, great work! It's lovely that you two share a work of art...
And so good to see your sketchbooks.
Again I say - a wonderful aesthetic here :)

Candie said...

Great work!